Regarding your home security, it is essential to ensure that you take the necessary steps to protect your property. One question that many homeowners face is whether they should rekey locks or change locks. Both options have their benefits, but which one is right for you?
- If you’re a new homeowner, one of the first things you must do is ensure your home is secure. That means taking steps to prevent burglaries and other crimes. One of the best ways to do this is by rekeying or changing your locks. This blog post will discuss when you should rekey or change your locks and some security tips for new homeowners.
- When is the right time to rekey or change your locks? The best answer to this question depends on a variety of factors. For example, rekey or change the locks as soon as possible if you recently bought a new home. That ensures no one else has access to your home and can help protect your family’s safety. You should also consider rekeying or changing your locks if you’ve just moved into a new apartment or rental property.
- Another time to change locks is when the keys of your home have been lost, stolen, or shared with someone else who shouldn’t have access to your home. If you suspect someone has gained access to your home without permission, you should change the locks immediately. In addition, if you have recently had a break-in or attempted break-in, it’s a good idea to rekey or change the locks.
Now that you know when to rekey or change your locks, here are some security tips for new homeowners:
- Install a security system. Invest in a home security system to deter burglars and other criminals.
- Get intelligent locks. Smart locks are secure, convenient, and can be controlled remotely from your smartphone or tablet.
- Hide spare keys wisely. Don’t leave spare keys outside — instead, hide them in a secure location that only you know.
- Keep your home well-lit. Install motion-activated lights around your property to deter intruders and make it easier to spot suspicious activity.
- Socialize with neighbors. Get to know your neighbors and tell them when you’ll be away from home. This can help ensure your home is watching when you’re not there.
Following these security tips can help ensure that your new home is safe and secure. Rekeying or changing your locks as needed is the best way to ensure no one else has access to your home, so make sure to make this critical decision. If you have any questions about security for new homeowners, contact a My Safe and Locksmith professional for more information. You can help keep your family and belongings safe with some knowledge and preparation. Contact Us For the Fastest Response!